The Montclair hills present a unique and inspiring setting for Bay Area living. Their winding streets feature a remarkable array of architectural styles old and new, set in profoundly natural, forested terrain that offers quiet retreat in its canyons and unparalleled views of San Francisco Bay along every ridgeline. Hikers, runners and mountain bikers revel in the miles of trails and wild acreage of neighboring Redwood, Sibley and Huckleberry Regional Parks. The undeniably charming Montclair Village, nestled at the base of the hillside, provides for every imaginable shopping, dining and service need. Its convivial cafes and Sunday Farmer’s Market offer gathering places with a genuine sense of warmth and community. From this idyllic setting, adjacent Highway 13 provides a convenient link to UC Berkeley, as well as quick access to Interstates 24 and 580, San Francisco, and the greater Bay Area.
For a perfect day in Montclair, pick up a coffee at Peets and stroll over to the Sunday Farmers Market on La Salle Avenue for fresh produce and delectable treats. You could also drop into the Montclair Egg Shop for a hearty brunch (reportedly a favorite spot of Golden State Warrior, Klay Thompson). Take your time browsing at independently owned neighborhood mainstays like A Great Good Place for Books, Pelago gift shop and Someone’s in the Kitchen. Then take a 10 minute drive up into the hills for a self-guided tour of Huckleberry Botanic Regional Preserve, or a lengthy hike on the superbly forested trails and open spaces of Redwood Regional Park. A beer and burger at Crogan’s will cap your day off nicely… especially if there’s a Warriors game on the big screen.
More Neighborhood Highlights:
- Popular local dining options include Daughter Thai, the Montclair Egg Shop, Perle Wine Bar, Kotobuki, Italian Colors, Taqueria Las Comadres, and Crogan’s Bar and Restaurant – a true neighborhood institution.
- In addition to Starbuck’s, Peet’s Coffee and two major grocery stores, Montclair Village is home to a variety of independent bookstores, unique specialty shops, and family-run services, including the ever-popular Montclair Barber.
- Facilities in beloved Montclair Park include playgrounds, a ball field, a recreation center, picnic sites, fountains, and a pond with ducks.
- Some of Oakland’s best public schools are located in Montclair, including Montclair Elementary, Thornhill Elementary and Montera Middle School.
- Montclair Golf Club offers a driving range to hone your skills and a cozy bar to commune with the locals.
- Several nearby private clubs offer impressive swimming and tennis facilities, including the Hills Swim and Tennis Club with its amazing scenic views of Mt. Diablo, and the Claremont Resort and Spa at the historic Ritz Carlton Claremont Hotel.