Driving up and down the winding streets to view homes in the Oakmore neighborhood is a delight not to be missed. Originally, Oakmore was a 150-acre site developed into 440 homes in the late 1920s; this allowed for lot sizes significantly larger than in many other areas of Oakland. Today, these charming original homes are still scattered about the neighborhood, intermingling with newer-built bungalows, ranch-style homes, stunning estates and sophisticated contemporary retreats. They all feature lovely natural settings, many with large yards and impressive vistas of the surrounding area. Houses perched on the hillside above Sausal Creek Canyon have some of the best cityscape views in the entire East Bay. Although Oakmore is easily reached across the historic Leimert Bridge from busy Park Blvd., the separation provided by Sausal Creek and Dimond Park makes for very little traffic and a serene, secure feeling in the area. To this day, Oakmore remains one of the best-kept secrets in upscale Oakland real estate.
A perfect day in and around Oakmore should start with a cup of coffee at Rocky’s Market, where you can commune with the locals and grab some upscale picnic fare for the day’s adventures. Take a short walk to the Bridgeview Drive trailhead to access the Sausal Creek trail, turning west to head into Dimond Park or east towards Joaquin Miller Park and deeper into the East Bay hills. How far you go is up to you, but don’t forget to stop to breathe in the tranquility of this urban oasis… and eat your picnic lunch. After your hike, a frosty pint awaits at the Montclair Golf Course’s family-friendly bar (maybe hit a few?), then take a stroll to neighboring Glenview for Marzano’s exceptional wood oven pizza. Before you head home, an evening climb up the historic Oakmore steps will reward you with panoramic vistas across the city, reminding you of just how lucky you are to live here.
More Neighborhood Highlights:
- Oakmore’s small business district, next to the Leimert Bridge, features the excellent Rocky’s Market, a truly enviable neighborhood grocery store that serves delicious food to go and hosts Sunday food trucks and other community events in its parking lot.
- Popular dining options in the Glenview neighborhood are within easy walking distance, and include Marzano, Bellanico, Blackberry Bistro, Paulista, and Park Burger.
- Nearby Montclair Village (a 5 minute drive) offers additional restaurant options, two major grocery stores, and a variety of services and specialty shops for your every need.
- Sausal Creek Canyon trails accessed from the top of Bridgeview drive are a wonderful place to hike, bike and explore the tranquility of Dimond Park, Joaquin Miller Park, and continuous natural parkland extending all the way to the Bay Area Ridge Trail.
- Nearby Oakland public elementary and middle schools include well-regarded Glenview, Joaquin Miller, Montera and Edna Brewer. Prestigious Head Royce School offers a private K-12 option on its extensive campus just adjacent to Oakmore.
- Both Highways 580 and 13 are a less than 10 minute drive from Oakmore, offering direct links to San Francisco, UC Berkeley, and points beyond.